Thursday Evening Classics

Steve Petke is host of Thursday Evening Classics and Classical Music Director @ WWUH


Place of Birth:

Hartford, CT

Started at WWUH:
1991

What do you like about working at WWUH?
The flexibility in programming at WWUH is astounding. There is no mandatory playlist and since WWUH is 100% non-commercial, it allows me to select entire works by any number of composers. The station’s library is immense, so there is a nearly inexhaustible source of material. The passion and loyalty of the staff really comes through over the air, too. I have rarely heard such knowledge and professionalism for a “college” station.

Favorite Classical Composers / Works
I generally respond to this question by saying “whatever I’m listening to now.” While there are simply too many to name – Bach, Schubert, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Brahms, Vivaldi, Haydn and Sibelius would be on my short list of favorite composers. Favorite works? Too many to name.

Activities / Interests
Bicycling, Soccer, Hiking, Snowshoeing, Colonial History, Animals, Dark Chocolate.

When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Apart from a brief aspiration to become a lawyer, I always wanted to excel in sports. But, I lacked the size and quickness for basketball or football and I couldn’t hit a curve ball. Growing up, the inevitable thinning of the ranks ensued – superstar Little League player to average Jr High School player to Varsity bench-sitter. I did have a successful High School and College soccer career, but for a full-time vocation, it was not to be in sports.

How were you introduced to Classical Music?
I come from a very musical family. WTIC-FM was always on in our house, back when WTIC had a Classical music format. My father had a good voice. My mother played and taught piano for over 30 years – and still practices in her 90s! My sister played the clarinet and my older brother played the trombone. I played shortstop.

Any fun anecdotes / experiences at WWUH?
I did inadvertently play the beginning of a 33 1/3 LP record at 45 RPM. While this may be a clever technique to see if anyone is listening, it’s generally not recommended for broadcast.