Tuesday Evening Classics3

David Buddington is alternate host of Tuesday Evening Classics.

My musical life began as a soprano in a men and boys choir. After a hiatus of several years, I resumed singing (no longer a soprano) with my college glee club, and have been singing pretty much continuously ever since. My primary affiliations have been with the Hartford Symphony Chorale/Hartford Chorale, the Connecticut Opera Association Chorus, and with a non-performing a capella madrigal group at the Hartford Conservatory.

As a listener, my favorite types of music, in no particular order, are chamber music, opera, choral music, brass, cello, oldies (1950s and early 1960s rock & roll, R&B, etc.), Dixieland, ragtime, folk, bluegrass. As a broadcaster, I try to present a good cross-section of music from various periods, including orchestral, chamber, and choral works, and music featuring various individual instruments. In the process of trying to prepare diversified programs, I have discovered composers and works previously unfamiliar to me, which have enriched my musical experience. I hope that sharing these with our listeners will enrich their lives as well.

I am continually amazed by the wealth of musical opportunities in Connecticut for listeners and performers. For example, on one recent weekend, I attended an orchestral concert in Torrington on Friday night, a quintet performance in Hartford on Saturday night, and a choral concert in West Hartford on Sunday afternoon. I encourage music lovers to attend local performances, both because of the rewards of experiencing the music in person, and to support our local arts organizations.